My sweet tooth is the main reason I can not be Serena Williams or Beyoncé great – body wise that is. Lollies, white chocolate and delicious biscuits get me every time. One here, one there and the calories just add up. I promise it’s all in moderation otherwise they would need to cut me out the house and have a helicopter on standby.
Spending time at home with baby girl means I have time to bake at home. Dangerous combination. When it comes to home made cakes I like to keep it basic. No creams, no frosting, no decorations – nothing. Just give me the sponge cake please – I am sweet enough. Here I give you my basic vanilla cupcake recipe.
- 125 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Place cupcake papers in two 12-hole cupcake trays.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter for 2 minutes until pale in colour and creamy. Add sugar one third at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about a minute between each addition. Add the vanilla essence and beat until combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add half to butter mixture with half the milk. Mix until well combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Fill cupcake papers three-quarters full.
- Bake cupcakes for 15 -20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
After the last step all bets are off, guard your vanilla cup cake with you life. Once you taste one you will know what I mean. Enjoy!