I am a working mother and come Friday I am super keen to head home and just lounge out whilst watching mindless reality TV. I used to think Friday night was an opportunity for me to take a break from being in the kitchen and taste something different.
Lately though, whenever we have bought takeaway I have often found myself somewhat disappointed by the food’s lack of flavour. This will sound cocky, but as I taste the food I actually think that I can do a better job. There is nothing that I hate more than parting with my hard earned money only to be served trash.
So – I have headed back to the kitchen on Friday night. Instead of takeaway, IamTinashe will be whipping up tasty dishes that resemble takeaway – in the comfort of our home.
In a previous life, my mother was a home economics teacher so she had taught me a thing or two in the kitchen. Below, I share with you my quick and super tasty fried rice.
- 2 cups of white rice (cook it the night before and freeze for best results)
- 1/2 an onion, roughly diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly diced
- 1/4 capsicum, roughly diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups of frozen veggies that have been thoroughly defrosted
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 eggs
- soy sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of all seasoning salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice, to taste (optional)
- sesame oil, to taste (optional)
Prep – 15mins | Cook Time – 20mins | Eating In – 35mins
- Heat wok over high heat. Pour in olive oil, then stir in garlic, onion and capsicum. Cook until onion is transparent.
- Toss in defrosted veggies; cook for about 1.5 minutes.
- Crack in eggs, stirring quickly to scramble eggs with vegetables.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Lightly pour soy sauce, add seasoning salt, Chinese five spice and toss rice to coat.
- Drizzle with sesame oil, and toss again.
And…done!! Time to serve the food, sit back and enjoy!
*I am a pescetarian so obviously there is no meat – but if your spirit compels you – add meat!*
Honestly, every time I taste this fried rice I just about close my eyes and I truly feel like I could be at my favourite Asian restaurant. Yes – it’s that good!
Hopefully this recipe is something that you will try and enjoy!
If you have recipes that you would like to share for working mums, please send them through.